Present Perfect by Betz White – Book Review
Present Perfect: 25 Gifts to Sew & Bestow by Betz White features a fabulous array of sewing projects with gift giving in mind. Just in time for holiday sewing!
Betz’ intro to the book lovingly shares the story of her mother’s love of sewing for her and of teaching Betz to sew. The ultimate gift! One I cherish as well, in my case the gift was given to me by my grandmother Helen Buckles.
The blog tour requested that I select and make a project from the book. I had 3 1/2 months to complete it. I began yesterday. Fortunately, accurate and easy-to-follow written construction steps and a well designed pattern carried me through to meet the deadline!
I’m totally flipping out over my Pasha Pleated Clutch. The scale of the bag is absolutely perfect. Big enough for cell phone, lipstick and a mini wallet, small enough to easily grasp in one hand. I used Etsuko Furuya Echino Ni-Co 2014 Car Grey on the exterior and Timeless Treasures Bias Sketch Metallic Black for the pleats. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the combination of texture, color and glitz.
The good news is the book comes with full size pattern sheets in the back. The bad news is they are double sided so I needed to trace my pattern. Starting Project at Last Minute + Let’s Get Started RIGHT NOW Sewing Personality = Really, I’ve Got to Trace This Thing? Just mentioning it so you can plan ahead to have appropriate supplies on hand.
SUPER impressed with the design and instructions for creating the pleats. An interesting little puzzle that was fun and not tedious.
My seam allowance for joining the front panels was not consistent. The width of the front after piecing the pleats required me to trim off a little on the edges to match the bag back. Measure and do this BEFORE sewing the darts that way you can save the step of ripping them out like I needed to do!
Hand sewing with embroidery floss finished off the pleat pattern. Again, perfect scale. A beautiful design that was a joy to make.
Betz White is a talented designer and author. Present Perfect is chock full of practical and useful projects that are sure to inspire your gift making.
To learn more about the book watch the fun trailer Betz created:
and be sure to check out the other stops on the blog tour:
1. Sew Mama Sew – Make & Bake Apron excerpt – Mon, 10/6
2. Stacy Sews – Falling Leaves Appliquéd Placemats – Tue, 10/7
3. House on Hill Road – Hot Mitt House & Tea Towel Set – Wed, 10/8
4. A Happy Stitch – Sweet Life Pillow – Thu, 10/9
5. Sew Sweetness – Wool Courier Bag – Fri, 10/10
6. Raspberry Sunshine – Gentlemen’s Travel Case – Mon, 10/13
7. Pink Chalk Fabrics – Yay, You’re Here! – Pasha Pleated Clutch – Tue, 10/14
8. The Long Thread – Eye Candy Glasses Case – Wed, 10/15
9. Made with Moxie – Cargo Tablet Sleeve – Send finished book – Thu, 10/16
10. Bijou Lovely – Coffee Cash Coin Pouch – Fri, 10/17