Dyeing to Stitch with Candy Glendening DVD Blog Tour + Giveaway
I first met Candy when she volunteered to test the Note Taker pattern oh so many years ago (May of 2007 to be exact!). Candy was an awesome contributor to that pattern and has been a friend ever since. I’ve watched her successfully pursue her passion for fabric dyeing and art making and I’m so excited to be writing here today about the release of her first DVD!
Fabric dyeing is something I’ve always watched from the sidelines. I’ve bought plenty of other people’s work and enjoyed sewing with it but never jumped into the actual tub of doing it myself. I found the DVD extremely captivating and Candy’s style of teaching accessible and easy to understand.
I will also say I’ve never watched a Quilting Arts Workshop DVD before. Where have I been!? Wow, talk about a class in a box. Every detail of the process is presented step by step, beginning with how to dye single colors and then moving on to multihued fabrics. Candy goes into detail about her color chart – appropriately named the Candiotic Table of Elemental Color. As a scientist and teacher, her methodology of experimentation and tracking her results is extremely enlightening.
The DVD includes specifics on exactly what supplies are needed and Candy’s recipes for these 6 jewel tone hues.
A final chapter on the disk features Candy demonstrating her free motion machine sketching technique and her approach to using hand dyed fabrics in her art. I’ve always loved that Candy creates art that can be worn and used on bags and accessories in addition to pieces that can be hung on a wall.
Dyeing to Stitch is a comprehensive guide to Candy’s dyeing process done beautifully with details and backstory that are sure to inspire anyone interested in learning to hand dye fabric. Congratulations to Candy on such a magnificent job!
For an opportunity to win a copy of the DVD leave a comment sharing why you dye fabric or would like to learn. I’ll draw a winner on Saturday.
More fabulous stops on the blog tour:
· Friday, 11/11 – Victoria Gertenbach of The Silly BooDilly
· Monday, 11/14 – Susan Brubaker Knapp of Blue Moon River
· Wednesday, 11/16 – Kathy Mack of Pink Chalk Studio
· Friday, 11/18 – Melody Johnson of Fibermania
· Monday, 11/21 – Amy Ellis of Amy’s Creative Side
· Wednesday, 11/23 – Diane Doran of Ooh! Pretty Colors
· Friday, 11/25 – Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fiber
· Monday, 11/28/11 – Brenda Gael Smith of Serendipity and the Art of the Quilt
· Wednesday, 11/30 – Amy Webb of Amy Lou Who Sews
· Friday, 12/2 – Robin Ferrier of Simply Robin
· Tuesday, 12/6 – Natalia Bonner of Piece N Quilt
· Thursday, 12/8 – Beth and the gang from Sew Mama Sew