One Yard Wonders Sew Along – Week 18 Finished Projects
Welcome to Week 18 of the One Yard Wonders Sew Along!
Week 18 – Project 42
Matt’s Map Bag – designed by Matt DeVries pg. 115
1 yard of 44/45″ fabric (heavyweight)
2 yards of 1 1/2″ or 2″ webbing
1/4 yard of double-sided fusible web interfacing
1 metal or plastic slide, 1 1/2″ or 2″ wide depending on webbing width
Tracy’s Tips and Thoughts
- Matt’s Map Bag is a practical, simple to sew project. The instructions are well written and easy to follow.
- The only challenge was the bulk in the corners when sewing the bag exterior and lining together then top-stitching through all the layers. Next time Tracy will grade the seam allowance in order to trim more bulk out of those areas.
- A regular sewing machine foot wouldn’t sew over the vinyl, she used a teflon foot with no problem.
- Tracy had a hard time locating 2″ webbing in the color she wanted. She used pearl gray Rit Dye to match her bag. Using the dye gave wonderful depth to the strap. Next time she makes a Map Bag Tracy will use 1″ width strap to better fit the scale of the bag.
- This basic design would work in a variety of shapes and sizes; it’s very cleverly constructed.
Tracy is travel ready!
Week 18 – Project 43
Beach-Time Towel Totes – designed by Michele Chisholm pg. 118
Jacqui chose Robert Kaufman Metro Living Zebra Stripe Black to go with her orange and white beach towel.
30″ of 1 1/2″ webbing
one 14″ zipper
sewing machine zipper foot
Jacqui’s Tips and Thoughts
- The Beach-Time Towel tote is more versatile than the picture shows. It’s a chair cover (that stays put!), a tote and a portable purse.
- The zippered pocket is convenient for keys, camera or a bit of spending cash. Even when you use it as a chair cover, your items will not fall out.
- Since the towel will most likely get wet, you might want to first place your items in a plastic bag.
- Jacqui used a lighter weight beach towel. It fits nicely within its attached tote and it was much easier to sew through.
- The Zebra striped webbing from Jacqui’s stash is perfect for the strap.
- The project is easy, quick and straightforward. Love it!
It’s the perfect gift for a grad, summer birthday or just because.
How to participate: One Yard Wonders Sew Along Details